Terms & Conditions
Before entering the event, it is important to read and understand the details and disclaimer outlined on this page.
By entering, you agree to be bound by and in acceptance of the terms and conditions and disclaimer detailed below.
Conditions: The terms and conditions of the Event, available below;
Entry Fee: The sum paid by a Participant upon entering the Event;
Event: The Essex Way Ultra. 5th - 6th July 2024;
Participant: An applicant who pays the Entry Fee.
I am a Participant and acknowledge that by participating in the Event, I agree to the terms below and the Conditions, which include details of my cancellation rights.
accept that the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event are not liable for any injury or illness or resultant death that I may suffer as a result of my participation in the Event, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the Event. I enter the Event entirely at my own risk. I renounce any rights and claims for damages that I may have against the Event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event together with their trustees, officers, directors, shareholders, successors and assigns, (collectively, “Releasees”) and release them from all liability to the Participant and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, and successors for loss(es), damage(s) and claims therefore on account of injury to Participant or his/her property or the resultant death of Participant, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with Participants involvement in the Event (“Losses”), and further covenants not to sue any of the aforementioned parties for such Losses;
I further acknowledge and agree that:
Trail ultra running is an endurance sport and I understand the demands of an 82 mile trail ultra marathon which includes running through the night;
I should only undertake such an activity to a level which reflects my level of fitness and that I am responsible for monitoring my own physical condition prior to and during participation in the Event;
I understand the importance, for safety reasons, of obeying the rules, guidelines and instructions given by the Event Organisers officials, stewards, nominated representatives and other authorised personnel and hereby agree to abide by the same and to behave responsibly at all times during the Event and be mindful of the impact of my actions on others.
Terms & Conditions
1. I understand that the event will be run under UK Athletics (UKA) rules and as such I confirm that I will be 20 years of age or older on the date of the event. I agree to adhere to these rules and the decisions of the Race Director.
2. I confirm that I am an experienced ultra runner with the skills and ability to undertake the stipulated route, across the range of terrain and in the wide range of weather conditions you would expect for the time of year.
3. I agree to complete the event entirely on foot.
4. I understand that the use of pacers or race crews are not permitted during this race and will result in my disqualification.
5. I agree to conduct myself in a sporting, professional and cautious manner during my participation in the event and understand that I may be disqualified if I do not do so.
6. I understand and agree that I participate in the Event entirely at my own risk.
7. I accept that I must make all reasonable precautions for the safeguarding of my person and of my property during my participation in this Event. I further acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is my responsibility.
8. If I have any medical condition(s), including allergies, which the Event Organisers or Event medical advisors might need to be aware of, I have provided details of this to the Race Director and will also provide written details of this on the rear of my pin-on numbers prior to my participation in the Event. I agree to display my race number at all times during the Event.
9. I acknowledge that my pin-on number is personal to me and it is non-transferable under any circumstances.
10. I agree that I am responsible for my own safety and wellbeing in all road or rail crossings situations and must only cross when I deem it to be safe, regardless of my position or time goal in the race.
11. Where there are sections on roads, in all instances, I agree to take the utmost care and position myself on the road according to the UK Highway Code. I also agree to wear reflective items of clothing and carry appropriate lighting to make myself visible to other road users, especially in the hours of, or just before or after, darkness.
12. The use of headphones or other such items that may impair my ability to hear, are strictly prohibited during the race at any time of the day or night.
13. The Event Organisers introduce cut off times for completion of sections of the course as they see fit. These will be made clear prior to the Event. Competitors may be instructed to withdraw from the Event in accordance with the imposed cut off times.
14. I accept that the Event Organisers reserve the right to amend the event format or cancel the Event due to health and safety reasons, including storm, rain, inclement weather, winds or any other act of god conditions. I accept that my Entry fee shall be non-refundable in this circumstance as costs have already been incurred.
15. The event Organisers, sponsors, race officials, medical advisers and any person involved in the organisation of this Event will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under the Terms that is caused by events outside our reasonable control (Force Majeure Event). A Force Majeure Event includes any act, event, non-happening, omission or accident beyond our reasonable control and includes in particular (without limitation) the following: strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war; fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic, pandemic (covid or other) or other natural disaster; impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport; impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; the acts, decrees, legislation, regulations or restrictions of any government; and pandemic or epidemic.
16. I consent to my appearance in any media format, in relation to the publicity of this Event, and in future publicity and advertising of the event, provided that such use does not imply my direct endorsement of any official sponsor or suppliers of the Event.
17. I agree that the Event Organisers may publish my Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) your name, any club affiliation, race times, occupation and age category. Your details may also be passed onto 3rd parties via Live tracking so that your family and friends and the general public can follow every entrant’s position during the Event.
18. A person who is not a party to these Terms shall not have any rights under or in connection with them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
19. I agree that I am entirely responsible for my safe onward travel to my home, or other location, following my completion or withdrawal from the event. I acknowledge that ultra running is both a physically and mentally demanding sport and as such, I will ensure I am fully rested before I continue my travel, including but not limited to driving a car.
20. I accept full liability for any medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participating in the Event.
21. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to have intentionally shortened the route of the Event.
22. I will be immediately disqualified from the Event if I am found to be deliberately littering the course.
23. I agree that should my GPS Tracker be damaged, lost or stolen, I will cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
24. Upon withdrawal or completion of the Event, I agree to return the GPS tracker to the Race Organiser. If a GPS tracker is not returned to a dedicated Race Marshal at Race HQ then I will cover the cost of the tracker which is £150 + VAT per GPS tracker.
25. I agree that should I be late in returning my GPS Tracker to the Event Organisers, I will pay a charge of £2.50 + VAT per GPS Tracker per day, starting from the Sunday immediately following the race.
26 I have read, understood and accept the Disclaimer outlined above.
27. I have read, understood and accept the Withdrawal Policy outlined below.
28. I agree that I am solely responsible for the safety and actions of any family, friends or crew that attend the race to support me. Any actions by the aforementioned individuals or group of individuals, which leads to a complaint being made to the Event Organisers or puts other participants or members of the Event Team in danger, could result in my disqualification from the race and a ban from participating in future events by the Event Organisers.
29. I agree to retire immediately from the event if ordered to do so by the Event Organisers, any government official or member of the emergency services.
30. I understand that it is not possible to defer or transfer my entry.
31. The Event Organisers reserve the right to vary these conditions by giving notice in writing in any official event material or correspondence prior to the event.
32. I agree that the decision of the Race Directors will be final in all circumstances and no discussion will be entered into. In addition, all decisions and rulings by the Event Organisers, its staff and its agents are considered final.
If we take the decision to cancel the race for any reason, for example there not being enough entrants to make it viable, then we will refund 75% of the entry fee. Unfortunately, we cannot refund 100% of the fee under any circumstances, as costs are incurred in the planning of the event as soon as a participant signs up. We cannot be held liable for any accommodation or travel arrangements that may have been made in this case.
If the event cannot go ahead for any reason beyond our control, such as (but not restricted to), a force majoure (as outlined in the terms above), then every effort will be made to reschedule the race for a future date and entries will be carried forward. It should be noted that this will likely be the following year. Unfortunately, due to the fixed costs associated with the race, we will not be able to offer refunds in this circumstance.
On raceday, we reserve the right to cancel, postpone or abandon the event at any time should we deem it necessary for your safety. Should this happen, no refunds will be issued. It goes without saying that the safety of participants is our number one priority.
If you chose to withdraw prior to the event, we offer the following refund:
(Minus 4% processing fee paid to Entry Central)
Up to 12 weeks out, so up to and including Friday 12th April 2024: 50% of entry fee
Up to 8 weeks out, so up to nd including Friday 10th May 2024: 25% of entry fee
If your entry is affected by pregnancy, miscarriage or adoption, please contact us